2020 1 oz Natura Coelophysis Silver Coin
- The Natura Series from the South African Mint released its second design for 2020 featuring the Coelophysis. This R25 fine-silver coin features the Coelophysidae which were highly successful primitive theropod dinosaurs that lived worldwide from the late Triassic to early Jurassic. Coelophysis rhodesiensis, a small, agile dinosaur which preyed on small animals, inhabited South Africa and Zimbabwe during the early part of the Jurassic period. This slenderly built, bipedal dinosaur grew up to 3 m long and weighed about 32 kg.
- 2nd coin in the Natura Series!
- Contains 1 Troy oz of .999 pure silver in Brilliant Uncirculated condition.
- Limited edition: 15,000
- 25 Rand (R25) face value assigned by the government of South Africa.
- On the obverse is a depiction of two Coelophysis in their natural element.
- The reverse features a T-rex skeleton in right-profile relief.
Each of the 2020 1 oz South African Natura Coelophysis Silver Coins in this listing is available to you with a folding presentation card that includes a capsule for the silver coin. Certificate of Authenticity information is featured on the very back of the shipping card and the history of the Coelophysis species is featured on the inside pages of the packaging card. Each coin is in Brilliant Uncirculated condition.
The coelophysis lived between 216 million and 196 million years ago in the latter stages of the Triassic Period. One of the most specimen rich dinosaur species recorded by humans, it was first written about by Edward Drinker Cope in 1887 and later described in more detail in 1889.
The obverse depicts the fossilised skull, neck and shoulder of an Erythrosuchus africanus. The words ‘Rise of the dinosaurs’, ‘Archosauria’ and the year 2020 as roman numerals ‘MMXX’ complete the obverse design.
The reverse face of 2020 South African Natura Coelophysis Silver Coins features the Coelophysidae which were highly successful primitive theropod dinosaurs that lived worldwide from the late Triassic to early Jurassic.
These 2020 South African Natura Series Silver Coins are produced by the South African Mint, a government-owned corporation responsible for coining Rand currency and bullion coinage for the nation.